Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spelling Disaster Ahead

Oh no! I submitted a job application with the wrong date on the cover letter and with entirely wrong content to that cover letter.

Sometimes, at least for me, it seems I suffer from constant spelling disasters and various other disasters. In my recent status update, or as I like to call it, time for me to try out my comedy material, I found I knew how to spell the word "vasectomy" but then two minutes later when I was revising my post to a more digestible size, of course then I could not spell it. Thank god for spell check! And just now, I was typing "then" but my fingers betrayed me and typed "hen". That's the thing spell check will totally miss. People may wonder why the word "hen" is inserted in a story or sequence of events totally unrelated to barnyards or eating chicken (it's funny how small children don't realize the animal chicken is the same as the chicken they are eating at McDonalds (yuk, except for breakfast burritos and $1 soft drinks, oh and McFlurry or Chic-fil-a).

What does it say about you that you can't spell? Some people think it's the sign of poor intelligence, a poor education or a lacking attention to detail. Probably the latter is true. Today, especially, with the prevalence of spell check, there is no excuse for misspelling a word (I think I have misspelled at least every other word I have typed so far). I don't think it says you have poor intelligence, because studies have actually disproved this theory. And, I know I am extremely intelligent. And it does not prove you have a poor education. I have had the best education money can buy (sometimes I wish I could get a refund from that esteemed institution of higher learning called the University of Denver). Having bad math skills, proves that. Just kidding. I think it does prove you probably have other priorities in life than paying attention to how words are spelled. Like paying attention to the content of what you are reading. So thank god for spell check. Well, thank god for creating the world, allowing evolution, which would eventually lead to smart computer programs who would invent spell check. But let's save the theology conversation for another day.

I think I'm going to leave out the part where I go Turrets on you and spew obscenities for their own sake. I'll try to be more vulgar or vulgarer next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed my blog.