Sunday, March 25, 2012

Vanity Plates


Blogging is the concept of vanity plates extended to the information age.

We all have something to say, but until recently only the select elite could have their views published for the masses.

Now with the availability of blogs we can express ourselves in all the banal ways we wish like publishing the pictures of our children and telling what cute thing they said so that other people can ooh and awes. It's almost like we might has well have the plate reading:

RKDAQT

I confess that I started this blog partly out of vanity. Knowing I have a more or less useless ability to be a humorist (a comedian says funny things, a humorist writes them), but that ability lacks the very important characteristic I need right now, which is a way to earn a living, I am stroking my vanity by doing this and hoping to get some attention for being funny (rather than being totally bizarre). And I am taking a huge risk by writing this blog and that is it is almost like exposing yourself to write a humorous blog, hoping that when you open the rain coat covering your inner most thoughts, emotions and ideas of what sick thing is funny, people will not only be able to resist the urge to look away, they will like what they see and think it's funny. So my vanity plate for my blog is:

IMFUNY

I have also blogged about serious political issues and though I am quite certain the total number of people who read the blog was between none and nil, I still think my vanity plates for that blog must be:

IMSMRT

So I guess what I have to take away from this epiphany that all this is just vanity and that no body is really reading this, and I should go ahead and bare my soul anyway, knowing that by using this form of self expression I will gain self-knowledge, and though finding humor in uncomfortable topics like my past and current day problems with employment, I will peer into my soul with a mirror. Perhaps every now and again I will get my ego petted a little bit and that will help me cope with a time in my life that is more of a struggle than I can remember.

This is really funny. Next time I will think of something funny to write. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed my blog.